The Public Relations Director position requires the committed expertise of a talented and passionate team member in media and influencer relations. The person in this position is responsible for handling day-to-day account needs, while demonstrating forward-thinking, sound judgment and decision-making skills, and providing proactive counsel and direction in all facets of public relations, especially media relations. Additionally, the person in this position will be working with clients across the entire life science spectrum — from private biotechs to publicly traded biopharmas.
- Demonstrates a passion for media relations, along with a proven history of success.
- Effectively writes and reviews scientific material into communications strategies and tactics that resonate with specific audiences, including scientists, C-suite executives of medical and healthcare organizations, and consumers, among others.
- Provide leadership and strategic direction in developing the structure and operation of client accounts and internal account management teams.
- Represents the agency's clients to the press and public by fielding responses to all media-related inquiries. Also, maintains a database of media relations contacts.
- Plans and implements clients' public relations strategies, policies and procedures.
- Effectively and persuasively presents scientific information, proposals, plans and pitches to internal agency staff and externally to clients.
- Creates/maintains strong relationships with key scientific/medical media, both regionally and nationally.
- Advises on the preparation and presentation of product or service information at trade shows, displays and exhibits.
- Assists and coaches clients' staff in preparation of speaking engagements, presentations and media interviews.
- A minimum of 7 years' experience in the biopharma/bioscience public relations sector — agency experience a plus.
- Proven ability to write about and interpret complex scientific content and translate this understanding for multiple lay, scientific, patient, and investor audiences.
- Attention to detail with excellent proofreading and editing capabilities.
- Demonstrated national media pitching and presenting experience — life science media preferred.
- A strong understanding of the FDA’s drug development process and SEC requirements for public companies.
- Proven ability to manage long-term client accounts.
- Self-starter with strong organizational skills.
- Naturally curious and motivated to learn new things, innovate and grow.
- Able to collaborate across disciplines and levels.
- An entrepreneurial spirit and an exceptional problem solver.
- Drive for exceptional performance from self, as well as others.
- Bachelor's degree or higher, preferably in biology, journalism, communications, or related.