The Senior Scientific Writer position requires the committed expertise of a talented and passionate team member in scientific communications. The ideal candidate is enthusiastic and has an intense curiosity, a thirst for knowledge, a good grasp of the life sciences, and the skills to reach a variety of audiences.
The person in this position is responsible for handling day-to-day client needs, while demonstrating forward-thinking, sound judgment and decision-making skills, and providing proactive counsel and direction in all facets of communications, especially media relations.
This position reports directly to the Senior Vice President of Public Relations, and the group’s Managing Editor.
- Demonstrates a passion for learning about cutting-edge science, along with a proven history of communicating that understanding to diverse audiences.
- Assists with the development and leads the implementation of clients' public relations strategies and procedures.
- Represents the agency's clients to the press and public by fielding responses to all media-related inquiries.
- Effectively reviews and interprets scientific material into communications strategies and tactics that resonate with specific audiences, including scientists, C-suite executives of medical and healthcare organizations, and consumers, among others.
- Understands scientific information related to clients and their competitors.
- Creates/maintains strong relationships with key scientific/medical media regionally and nationally.
- Assists and coaches clients' staff in preparation of speaking engagements, presentations and media interviews.
- Has an in-depth knowledge of social media and the overall digital landscape, and knows how to incorporate them into our clients’ programs
- Works with the agency’s content and marketing/creative groups on special projects.
- Responsible for compiling quarterly and annual PR reports for clients
- Proven ability to interpret complex scientific content and translate this understanding for multiple lay, scientific, patient, and investor audiences.
- 2-4 years experience in scientific/medical communications preferred.
- Proven ability to manage complex projects. Self-starter with strong organizational skills.
- Naturally curious and motivated to learn new things, innovate and grow.
- Able to collaborate across multiple disciplines and levels.
- Possesses an entrepreneurial spirit and demonstrates exceptional problem-solving skills.
- Strives for exceptional performance from self, as well as others.
- Bachelor's degree or higher, preferably in biology, journalism, communications, or related fields.
HDMZ is a full-service integrated life sciences marketing and communications agency that works with brands dedicated to making the world a better place. Our purpose is to advance scientific progress, discovery and development through meaningful connections and compelling communications. From media relations and scientific and creative content, to digital media and account strategy, our people have helped transform HDMZ into one of the leading life sciences agencies in the U.S. and beyond. We are a Great Place to Work-Certified™ company, and were recently ranked number 32 in Fortune’s Best Workplaces in Chicago list.