The Scientific Communications Supervisor position requires the committed expertise of a talented and passionate team member in media relations, who will lead the development and implementation of PR programs from beginning to end for our life science partners.
The person in this position is responsible for managing long-term account direction, while demonstrating forward-thinking, sound judgment and decision-making skills, and providing proactive counsel and direction in all facets of public relations, especially media relations.
This position reports directly to the Vice President of Public Relations, and the group’s managing editor.
- Demonstrates a passion for media relations, along with a proven history of success.
- Builds and maintains critical client relationships and oversees all areas of communications for our life science partners
- Has a detailed understanding of our client’s industry, business and therapeutic area, and applies that knowledge to providing strategic advice and council, and in creating strategic PR plans.
- Represents the agency's clients to the press and public by fielding responses to all media-related inquiries.
- Plans and implements clients' public relations strategies, policies and procedures.
- Effectively reviews and interprets scientific material into communications strategies and tactics that resonate with specific audiences, including scientists, C-suite executives of medical and healthcare organizations, and consumers, among others.
- Effectively and persuasively presents scientific information to senior internal agency staff and to external clients.
- Creates/maintains strong relationships with key scientific/medical media, both regionally and nationally.
- Review all external and internal public relations materials and pitches
- Coaches clients' staff in preparation of speaking engagements, presentations and media interviews.
- Manages junior staff and ensures client deliverables are on track and within budget
- Provides guidance to junior staff on public relations best practices and assists in their career development
- A minimum of 4-6 years experience in the biopharma/bioscience public relations sector — agency experience a plus.
- Proven ability to interpret complex scientific content and translate this understanding for multiple lay, scientific, patient, and investor audiences.
- Demonstrated national media pitching experience — life science media preferred.
- Proven ability to manage long-term client accounts.
- Self-starter with strong critical thinking, problem-solving, project management and organizational skills, who can make decisions independently.
- Naturally curious and motivated to learn new things, innovate and grow.
- Able to collaborate across disciplines and levels.
- An entrepreneurial spirit and an exceptional problem solver.
- Drive for exceptional performance from self, as well as others.
- Bachelor's degree or higher, preferably in biology, journalism, communications, or related.
HDMZ is a full-service integrated life sciences marketing and communications agency that works with brands dedicated to making the world a better place. Our purpose is to advance scientific progress, discovery and development through meaningful connections and compelling communications. From media relations and scientific and creative content, to digital media and account strategy, our people have helped transform HDMZ into one of the leading life sciences agencies in the U.S. and beyond. We are a Great Place to Work-Certified™ company, and were recently ranked number 32 in Fortune’s Best Workplaces in Chicago list.